Most seniors take one or more daily medications for a variety of conditions, which means keeping those organized can help prevent taking the wrong pills or dosages. Here are some tips for how your senior loved one can manage his or her medications, brought to you by the experienced staff at Home Care Assistance of Phoenix.
Make a List
Keeping an updated list of all your loved one’s medications can help him or her stay organized. The list should include the name of the drug, the dosage amount, and dosing frequency. It is important to share this information with each member of your loved one’s health care team to prevent over-prescribing and dangerous drug interactions.
Use One Pharmacy
All of your loved one’s prescriptions should ideally be filled at the same pharmacy. The pharmacist can then keep a complete record of all ofpast and current medications and alert you and the doctor to potential interactions.
Set Up Medication Reminders
Reminders can help ensure your loved one does not take the wrong pill or forget a dose. You can encourage him or her to try these techniques:
• Follow a routine. For example, your loved one can take medications at mealtimes or when he or she gets up in the morning.
• Use a calendar. A schedule written on a wall calendar or chart can serve as a visual reminder.
• Use a pill organizer. A number of different organizers are available on the market. Some can even send reminders to your loved one’s phone or sound an alarm when it is time for a dose.
Talk to the Prescriber
Arrange an appointment with your loved one’s doctor to review medications. You should ask the following questions about each medication:
• Why is this drug being prescribed?
• Is the dosage age-appropriate?
• What are the potential side effects?
• Is the medication on the caution list as being potentially unsafe in the elderly?
Keeping your senior loved one safe through medication management can help offer you peace of mind, but you may not always be available to help with this organization. If your loved one needs assistance managing his or her medications, reach out to Home Care Assistance. We offer live-in or part-time hourly care in Phoenix, and our caregivers can not only help with medication reminders, but can also provide transportation to the pharmacy and assist with everyday household tasks. We back all of our senior care services with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and you’ll never be expected to sign a long-term contract. To schedule a complimentary in-home consultation, call a Care Manager at 602.388.1085 today. We hope to hear from you soon.